Re: Tool request

On 1/29/06, Sean B. Palmer <sean@miscoranda.com> wrote:
> Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>
> > Well, you are really better off with a browser extension that
> > performs validation.
>
> The *ideal* situation would be to validate pages before upload, i.e.
> to have some kind of validation tool built into whatever you use to
> upload or author documents.

Prevention is usually better than cure, for sure. But in this scenario
there would also need to be a guarantee that nothing in the subsequent
publishing process didn't break the markup. Validating post-publish is
testing at the point of interest.

If you're using Amaya or nxml-mode in
> emacs you already get this for free, of course. But this falls on
> validating dynamically served pages...

Aye, that's a snag (it recently took me *hours* on my wife's Drupal
install to figure which part of the templating system was placing an
unclosed <a href=""> on a page). There's also the point that every
author will need to such tool(s) for the pages/site to remain valid.

Incidentally, WordPress has some kind of markup-correction built into
its pipeline. I'm not sure exactly what but appeared to be fairly
crude auto-balancing of tags. I've turned this off in my install as
although the corrected markup following a little typo may have been
well-formed, it usually required considerably more effort to get
things back to how I intended (and well-formed).

> I wonder if Jim was listening; it'll be interesting to see if he can
> hack something up along these lines. And if he can't, I might have a
> go at it myself using Greasemonkey.

Good-o. The more the merrier ;-)

Cheers,
Danny.