Re: LinkCheck 4.2.1 and SSL Certificates

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:27:17 +0300
To: Nicholas.Z.Gavriniotis@transport.qld.gov.au
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 16:15 +1000,
Nicholas.Z.Gavriniotis@transport.qld.gov.au wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I am using the LinkChecker to validate all links on our new company front
> end and I have come an SSL issue (well what I think is an SSL issue).  I
> have installed the link check software onto a local server and set the
> linkchecker to use proxy settings which are defined using mod_env.
>
> When I do the linkcheck, I get Response 500 as seen below in the report:
>
> https://<URL>/<URI>/<PAGE>.jsp
> What to do: This is a server side problem. Check the URI.
> Response status code: 500
> Response message: Can't connect to www.<URL>:443 (connect: No route to
> host)
> Line: 306
>
> Now when I load that page in my browser, the page loads up correctly
> without issue.  I was curious, could this error be caused by the fact that
> the pages are SSL and that the certificate that is used for SSL is self
> signed by my company and not a recognised security authority?

I doubt that; the error message should give a better hint if it would be
the case.  I just checked against a server that has a similar
certificate as the one described above, and checking links on it worked
just fine.

The error is "No route to host" which, since it works in your browser,
sounds to me like there is a problem either in the link checker proxy
config (did you set both http_proxy *and* https_proxy? [0]), a firewall
config somewhere, or DNS config in the box running the link checker.

[0] http://search.cpan.org/dist/libwww-perl/lib/LWP.pm#ENVIRONMENT