Re: Validator complains about <nobr>

From: OOzy Pal <oozypal@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:07:07 +0300
To: "olivier Thereaux" <ot@w3.org>, www-validator@w3.org

On 8/23/06, olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:

> Hello Jukka,
>
> On Aug 23, 2006, at 01:31 , Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> > If you wish to use <nobr> and still use a validator, you might
> > consider using a validator that can deal with "extended DTDs"
>
> While this is technically correct, I really don't think it's a good
> idea to be suggesting using extended DTDs. You know what tweaking
> DTDs involve and imply, whereas I suspect most of the people using
> proprietary markup:
> - don't know (and don't really want to know) how to extend a DTD
> - don't know what are the benefits and risks of doing so.
>
> I am not here to dictate what you should say, and I think you, as
> well as all the regulars on this list, are providing a fantastic help
> to everyone coming here for help, but if I may suggest something, I
> think it's better to teach people a bit of CSS to replace their
> proprietary markup than explain about extending DTDs for the purpose
> of getting a green validation banner...
>
> Thanks
> --
> olivier

Thank you all for the help. I am not that expert to extend a DTD. The
reason I asked my question is that I was tweaking a markup code and
noticed that the <nobr> is not validating so I searched on the net for
it and found that <nobr> is markup language but never noticed it was
proprietary.

I am using w3c validator to follow the standard 100% with no custom or
proprietary markup.

Back to my question, will this do the job:

Again thank you all.
--
OOzy
Kubuntu-Dapper