Re: Validator complains about <nobr>

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:11:52 +0900
Cc: WWW-Validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Jukka K.Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>

Hello Jukka,

On Aug 23, 2006, at 01:31 , Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> If you wish to use <nobr> and still use a validator, you might
> consider using a validator that can deal with "extended DTDs"

While this is technically correct, I really don't think it's a good
idea to be suggesting using extended DTDs. You know what tweaking
DTDs involve and imply, whereas I suspect most of the people using
proprietary markup:
- don't know (and don't really want to know) how to extend a DTD
- don't know what are the benefits and risks of doing so.

I am not here to dictate what you should say, and I think you, as
well as all the regulars on this list, are providing a fantastic help
to everyone coming here for help, but if I may suggest something, I
think it's better to teach people a bit of CSS to replace their
proprietary markup than explain about extending DTDs for the purpose
of getting a green validation banner...

Thanks
--
olivier