Trouble Validating a nested list

From: Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 20:40:42 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hi,

I'm a beginner with HTML, and I have found the validator and the W3C
pages very helpful in getting me started. However, I am confused by the
error message I get when trying to validate the following page:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tyler006/phdprop.html

1. Error Line 42 column 17: document type does not allow element "OL"
here; assuming missing "LI" start-tag.

 <ol class="lwrA">

2. Error Line 49 column 16: document type does not allow element "OL"
here; assuming missing "LI" start-tag.

<ol class="lwrA">

The error message suggests that my nested <ol> are not allowed, and
should be replaced by a <li>. From the context of the page this is
clearly not what I want. I can, however, pass the validation when I
remove the </li> tags immediately preceeding each nested <ol> (ie. at
line 41 or 48).

I thought that </li> tags were optional, but that good practice was to
include them so as to make my eventual conversion to XHTML smoother. In
this case the validator results indicate that they are not a good idea.
Could someone clarify this for me?

Thanks for your time, and my apologies if I've sent this to the wrong list!

Tyler