Re: Trouble Validating a nested list

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:52:00 +0000
To: Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 20:40 -0400, Tyler Smith wrote:
> 1. Error Line 42 column 17: document type does not allow element "OL"
> here; assuming missing "LI" start-tag.

A list contains list items. Nothing else. A list can contain other
lists, but each other list must form part of a list item.

> The error message suggests that my nested <ol> are not allowed, and
> should be replaced by a <li>. From the context of the page this is
> clearly not what I want. I can, however, pass the validation when I
> remove the </li> tags immediately preceeding each nested <ol> (ie. at
> line 41 or 48).

<ul>
<li>
<ol>...</ol>
</ul>

Is the same as
<ul>
  <li>
  </li>
</ul>

> I thought that </li> tags were optional

They are, which is why the above works.

--
David Dorward                           <http://dorward.me.uk/>
"Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another."