Re: radio button validation?

> Bill Fenner wrote:
>
> > Indeed; if the validator is *only* a DTD validator then certainly
> > there's no way to do this.
>
> It is exactly that.  By definition.

In that case, the description at http://validator.w3.org/ is a bit misleading.

"The W3C Markup Validation Service is a free service that checks Web
documents in formats like HTML and XHTML for conformance to W3C
Recommendations and other standards."

If it's explicitly only DTD validator, then maybe it could say
something like "for conformance to the appropriate DTD.  It does not
check conformance to requirements that are not expressed in the DTD."

> If you have a tool
> that genuinely does more, without sacrificing either validation
> or the clear distinction between validation and other messages,
> I'll be very interested to see it.  Unless perhaps it's a mere
> aggregation of reports:-)

It is merely aggregating reports.  It basically does
xmllint --noout --noent --loaddtd --dtdvalid foo.dtd foo.xml &&
xsltproc additional-checks.xslt foo.xml
and post-processes the output.  additional-checks.xslt uses
xsl:message to output messages that can be aggregated with the output
of xmllint.

  Bill