Re: radio button validation?

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:03:31 +0100
To: Bill Fenner <fenner@gmail.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Bill Fenner wrote:

> Indeed; if the validator is *only* a DTD validator then certainly
> there's no way to do this.

It is exactly that.  By definition.

>	  I wrote a small validator for a different
> DTD, and ended up doing 2 passes: one for the DTD, and then one with
> XSL looking for things that weren't expressible in the DTD.

That sounds familiar.  Some time ago, I offered optional accessibility
checking in a validator (Page Valet 3.x).  That was inspired by an
experiment with Scematron, following which I introduced generalised
constraint-based testing at each markup event (or DOM node).  As that
work matured, I separated it from validation, and it is now incorporated
in a separate tool, AccessValet.

My main reason for separating the function was practical: building
substantial new functionality with OpenSP is much harder than with
libxml2's (non-validating) HTMLparser module.  If you have a tool
that genuinely does more, without sacrificing either validation
or the clear distinction between validation and other messages,
I'll be very interested to see it.  Unless perhaps it's a mere
aggregation of reports:-)

--
Nick Kew