Re: IDN support in the validator

At 18:39 05/01/13, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

 >> >That seems a weird interpretation of "Bad hostname", don't you think?
 >>
 >>It's less an interpretation of "Bad hostname" than an interpretation
 >>of the whole picture based on previous experiences with getting IDNs
 >>to work. But if you have a better guess, that would be fine with me.
 >
 >"Bad hostname 'r$BgL(Bsm$B‹S(Bg$BiT(B.josefsson.org'" suggests that the hostname did
 >not resolve which either means that xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o.josefsson.org
 >cannot be resolved or that punycode is not involved.

If it were only for "Bad hostname", I would have guessed the same.
What made me guess differently was the 500 in front of it. This
suggested to me that the "Bad hostname" came from an actual server
on the other end, which would strongly suggest that punycode was
involved. But it's probably easier to do an actual check on the
server than to do more guessing.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fxn--rksmrgs-5wao1o.josefsson.org

 >works, it would seem that there is no punycode conversion whatsoever.

In that case, the Host: field of the request is of course
     Host: xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o.josefsson.org
which would also explain why that example works.

 >That you see r$BgL(Bsm$B‹S(Bg$BiT(B.josefsson.org in the error message is also more
 >a coincidence than by design,

Yes, I was aware of that.

Regards,    Martin.