RE: [VE][344] Error Message Feedback (No DOCTYPE Found - DTD List)

From: Greg Pinnington <gregp@e2save.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:22:16 -0000
To: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>, <ot@w3.org>

> olivier Thereaux wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > On Jan 5, 2005, at 19:26, Greg Pinnington wrote:
> >> How about a link to
> >> http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
> >> on the "no document type declaration" error message?
> >
> > This link is already in the error message when in verbose mode...

I was actually meaning the error message in the "results" section, for example:
Line 2, column 0: no document type declaration; implying "<!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM>"

The checked page did not contain a document type ("DOCTYPE") declaration. The Validator has tried to validate with the HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD, but this is quite likely to be incorrect and will generate a large number of incorrect error messages. It is highly recommended that you insert the proper DOCTYPE declaration in your document -- instructions for doing this are given above -- and it is necessary to have this declaration before the page can be declared to be valid.

In fact, I think "instructions for doing this are given above" is only true in verbose mode.
I think you're right about linking to
instead of