Re: IDN support in the validator

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:39:20 +0100
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

* Martin Duerst wrote:
> >>My guess is that the conversion to punycode was correctly made before
> >>resolving the host name, but that punycode was not used is the Host:
> >>field of HTTP/1.1. Although that's not explicitly written down anywhere,
> >>that's how it works (at least with deployed servers).
> >
> >That seems a weird interpretation of "Bad hostname", don't you think?
>It's less an interpretation of "Bad hostname" than an interpretation
>of the whole picture based on previous experiences with getting IDNs
>to work. But if you have a better guess, that would be fine with me.

"Bad hostname 'räksmörgås.josefsson.org'" suggests that the hostname did
not resolve which either means that xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o.josefsson.org
cannot be resolved or that punycode is not involved. As

works, it would seem that there is no punycode conversion whatsoever.
That you see räksmörgås.josefsson.org in the error message is also more
a coincidence than by design, if you use http://d%fcrst.invalid, you
would get an ill-formed response from the Validator.