Re: [VE][344] Error Message Feedback (No DOCTYPE Found - DTD List)

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:19:51 +1100
To: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
CC: Greg Pinnington <gregp@e2save.com>, www-validator@w3.org

olivier Thereaux wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Jan 5, 2005, at 19:26, Greg Pinnington wrote:
>> How about a link to
>> http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
>> on the "no document type declaration" error message?
>
> This link is already in the error message when in verbose mode...

The verbose error message seems fine, however it says that it's falling
back to HTML 4.01 Transitional, then procedes to show an example of an
XHTML 1.0 Strict DOCTYPE.  That may be a little confusing for newbies.

> What do you think?

In normal mode, how about just changing this line to:

   So what should I do? _Tell me more_ or _choose a DOCTYPE_

with _choose a DOCTYPE_ linking to the DTD list.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/