Re: Relaxed - new HTML validation service based on RELAX NG + Schematron

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:38:02 +1000
To: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Jirka Kosek wrote:
> http://badame.vse.cz/validator/
>
> there is available a new validating service which is able to catch much
> more errors than W3C validator.

No, it reports a lot more bogus errors than the W3C validator,
particularly with HTML4.  But then again, it's not really an SGML
validator, so I wouldn't expect it to do a great job with it.

Personally, I'd change its name from an HTML validator to XHTML
validator, since it only really works with XHTML.  However, it also
doesn't support XHTML 1.1.

The only error I could find that this catches, which the W3C validator
doesn't, is unencoded ampersands in XHTML.

Also, what is the purpose of the "dirty parser" option?  Is that for
people that don't really want to be told their pages are invalid, so
they'll be parsed as tag soup and given a pass regardless?  It seems
like a pretty useless option to me, I'd remove it.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/