Re: Advice sought on (markup) validator's "Help and FAQ" document

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:02:29 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Jon Ribbens <jon+www-validator@unequivocal.co.uk>

Jon,

On Apr 23, 2005, at 21:16, Jon Ribbens wrote:
> Any chance of my suggestion from last year being incorporated? ;-)

I must have left that one slip, sorry.

>   Q. What does "valid" mean, and what sort of problems does the Markup
>   Validator <em>not</em> find?

I think your entry is going the right way, i.e refactoring and
clarifying the existing [what is validation] and [Is validation some
kind of quality control? Does "valid" mean "quality approved by W3C"?],
but I don't think it should be added as it is, because it is still
quite redundant with the existing entries, and the following:

>   A. HTML is an application of SGML, a generalised system for creating
>   markup languages. SGML markup languages are defined by what is known
>   as a DTD - a computer-readable description of the features of that
>   markup language.

... is probably too complicated for a high-level, newcomer-friendly FAQ
entry.

If you have the time, could you give a look at the beginning of the
existing FAQ / Help (latest version at
http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/docs/help.html ) and tell me how you
think we could reorganize it?

Thanks.