Re: Advice sought on (markup) validator's "Help and FAQ" document

Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:
> Since we are soon going to start an alpha/beta test for the
> next version of the Markup Validator, I think now is a good time for a
> quick review of the validator's doc, and its cornerstone, the Help&FAQ.

Any chance of my suggestion from last year being incorporated? ;-)

  Q. What does "valid" mean, and what sort of problems does the Markup
  Validator <em>not</em> find?

  A. HTML is an application of SGML, a generalised system for creating
  markup languages. SGML markup languages are defined by what is known
  as a DTD - a computer-readable description of the features of that
  markup language. If the Markup Validator tells you that your document
  is "valid", this means that it complies in all respects with the rules
  as defined in the DTD you are using.

  However, some features of HTML are not able to be described in a DTD.
  For example, the following tag is valid under the HTML 4.01
  Transitional DTD:

  Although it is valid under the DTD, it is not correct HTML since the
  text of the HTML specification does not allow "mauve" as the value
  for the "color" attribute.

  It is therefore possible for your documents to validate but still
  not be correct HTML. The Markup Validator is nevertheless a very
  useful tool for helping you to ensure that your HTML documents
  comply with specifications and are usable by the maximum number of
  users.