Re: Problem encountered

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:18:18 +1000
To: Mitchel88@aol.com
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Mitchel88@aol.com wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Pro...
> But when I validate the exact same files that are on my hard drive, I get
> the response:
>
> "Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type is
> text/plain...

> Are you aware of this problem and, if so, do you know why it's happening  and
> how it can be remedied?

Yes, it's a bug with service pack 2.  There is a temporary fix available
using a registry hack [1], but it causes some other problems on the
system, which means it can't be permanently applied.  The best solution,
and indeed the recommended solution for anyone developing a website is
to use a descent, standards compliant browser that does not suffer from
the many bugs and excessive non-standard behaviour that IE has.  I
recommend either Firefox [2] or Opera [3].

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2004Sep/0054.html
[2] http://getfirefox.com/
[3] http://www.opera.com/

--