checklink

From: Roger W. Haworth <RHaworth@BlueYonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:36:07 -0000
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

It is too optimistic to say 'usually nothing' as the todo recommendation for
status code 302.

Consider the following:

> List of broken links and redirects:
>
> http://www.aboutbarcelona.com/spain/tenfestival.asp
> -> http://www.aboutbarcelona.com/ Line: 232
>   Code: 302 -> 200 OK
>  To do: Usually nothing.
>
> http://www.fuerteventura-infos.de/american_star/index.htm
> -> http://www.fuerteventura-infos.de/404fehler.htm Lines: 175, 183
>  Code: 302 -> 200 OK
> To do: Usually nothing.

Both of these scream 'broken link' even if you don't speak German!

I know that on the Zeus server if you put  'errordocument 404 ...' in the
..htaccess  file to create a custom error page, then this will give you
Code: 302 -> 200 OK

I have changed my copy of checklink to read:

   302 => 'Manually check that the destination of the redirection is what
you expect.',