Re: No "target" allowed

From: Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl@cygnusinteractive.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:48:54 -0500
To: Bernhard Kraft <kraftb@mokka.at>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Bernhard Kraft wrote:

> David Dorward wrote:

>> Unfortunately I have lost the reference, but I recently saw a report
>> written after observing users testing a website. Some links opened new
>> windows to Amazon.com - this caused a significant number of users great
>> difficulty because the back button was greyed out.

See "The Top Ten New Mistakes of Web Design"

   http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html

1. Breaking or Slowing Down the Back Button
2. Opening New Browser Windows

(Violating the first two...)

> So some usability studies returned a result for a long question of mine.
> If I really should open links to external pages in a new window ...
> I personally never had a decision on this but my boss wants me to make
> links like this, so "our" website stays open.

If your boss thinks this will keep people on your site he is sadly
mistaken... They way to keep people on your site, and get them to
return, is to provide something of value to the user, not through
trickery or poor usability.

Pete