Re: Possible Validator bug

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, elfin wrote:

> I have discovered a possible bug either in the WDG validator or the W3C
> validator, as such I am reporting the issue to both parties.
>
> (this site is not mine and the page/dtd may change at any time)
> This page: http://www.lsw-webdesign.com/ has valid 'mark-up' but the WDG
> validator is throwing up errors associated with the custom DTD referenced.
> The W3C validator however is passing the page with no problems.

The page now uses XHTML 1.0 Strict and validates fine with both
validators.

I would guess that what happened previously was that the page used a
custom XML DTD, which can lead to validation errors if the validator
assumes that the DTD is SGML rather than XML.  Likely the two validators
have different heuristics for deciding which of SGML or XML to assume.

For validating a custom XML DTD with the WDG HTML Validator, see
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/tips.html#customxml>.

--
Liam Quinn