Re: Possible Validator bug

Hi Liam Quinn,

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, elfin wrote:
>
>> I have discovered a possible bug either in the WDG validator or the
>> W3C validator, as such I am reporting the issue to both parties.
>>
>> (this site is not mine and the page/dtd may change at any time)
>> This page: http://www.lsw-webdesign.com/ has valid 'mark-up' but the
>> WDG validator is throwing up errors associated with the custom DTD
>> referenced. The W3C validator however is passing the page with no
>> problems.
>
> The page now uses XHTML 1.0 Strict and validates fine with both
> validators.

yes I saw that *sigh* I should have downloaded a copy to show you the
results.

> I would guess that what happened previously was that the page used a
> custom XML DTD, which can lead to validation errors if the validator
> assumes that the DTD is SGML rather than XML.  Likely the two
> validators have different heuristics for deciding which of SGML or
> XML to assume.

:-) I'll take your word on that! Creating DTD's are not something O want to
get involved in, for as long as I can avoid it I will!

> For validating a custom XML DTD with the WDG HTML Validator, see
> <http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/tips.html#customxml>.

The thing is, I think the DTD was incorrectly implemented, but we no longer
have proof. If I can I'll get a copy of the original page and DTD, but it is
unlikely.

Maybe should should create a simple DTD checker?

anyway thanks for the quick responce, and apologies for not having copies to
try and sort out the problem.

elfin