Re: [VE][64] Error Message Feedback

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 08:29, Nox wrote:

> The test page in question is located at
> http://www.northcoast.com/~marilynn/test/test.html
>
> When I ran it though the validator, it said that there were problems
> with the body and html tags. Looking at the code, I sure don't see any
> errors. Do you know why the validator objects?

Your Doctype claims you are writing an HTML 4.0 Frameset document.

There are two problems with this:

1. 4.0 is buggy and was quickly replaced with 4.01

2. You seem to be missing a <frameset> element (good, frames are evil).

Try HTML 4.01 Strict instead.

http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

> Also, if you have a moment, I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1: Character Encoding (argh!) Is this something I should be including
> in the code of my pages, or is this something that my IP should be
> doing and isn't?

Interesting question. One of you should be handling it, which one is a
matter of debate. One school of thought is that the provider shouldn't
impose a specific encoding on their customers.

Discuss the matter with your provider, possibly you have .htaccess
rights and can configure the server yourself.

>  What can I do to make the validator happy about my
> pages???

The validator gives links to various instructions for setting character
encoding information when verbose mode is on and it doesn't receive the
right information.

> 2: CSS (@#$%!!!) The whole reason I tried to validate my page is that
> I'm having trouble with my css. It works just fine in Safari (Mac OS
> 10.3.4) but I though I'd look at my pages in a couple of different
> browsers, just to check the layout, and the css isn't working at all in
> Mozilla, Firefox, or Internet Explorer.

Your HTML claims that the style sheet is written in "text.css". The
Gecko rendering engine is aware that it only understands "text/css" and
thus ignores the <link>. Try using the correct value for the type
attribute.

I also suggest you have a glance at:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingPoints

--