bug in cvs version since May 2003

From: <matt@proweb.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:08:13 0000
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hi,

I've been battling getting the validator to work locally on my FreeBSD4.8 box

I made the "mistake" of installing the code into a directory of my choosing instead of /usr/local/validator

Mistake because check hard codes the path names :

------
# Set final command to use.
#my @cmd = ($CFG->{SGML_Parser}, '-c', $catalog, '-E0', @xmlflags);
my @cmd = ('/usr/bin/onsgmls', '-c', '/usr/local/validator/htdocs/sgml-lib/xml.soc', '-E0',@xmlflags);
------

see, the (possibly) correct line is commented out

When I enabled the non-hard coded line the validator worked

The error was introduced in version 1.324 on 25th May 2003 by link
see :

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/httpd/cgi-bin/check.diff?r1=1.324&r2=1.323

(search for : "my @cmds")

This may explain some of the "the validator always returns 'invalid' and yet it works on the command line" posts on the list I found in the archives.

FreeBSD ports installs onsgmls to /usr/local/bin/onsgmls

therefore working from the command line but not the script.

I'm glad I sorted it out, the validator rocks.

matt