Re: [VE][139] Error Message Feedback

dragonimp wrote:
>  I validated the page http://www.saferun.com/ with XHTML 1.0.

> Line 133, column 274: non SGML character number 30

> ======================================
>
> I dont know  what's the meaning of "non SGML character number 30"
> I cannot find any error in the page at line 133:(

The error just indicates that a character used in the file is invalid
for the character encoding declared, which is GB2312 (Chinese
Simplified).  The error is often caused by the use of of a character
encoding that differs from that declared for the file.  Therefore, it is
likely that your editor is actually saving the file as a different, yet
similar encoding.

Similar errors often occur when saving a file as Windows-1252 (the
default for english versions of windows), yet declaring ISO-8859-1.
There are only a few differences between them (from characters 128 to
159), in that they are control characters in ISO-8859-1, but printable
in Windows-1252, and it is the use of these characters that causes this
error.

Although I was unable to find any mappings for GB2312, and thus unable
to look up what character 30 is, it is likely to be a control character,
but used as a printable character in whatever encoding your editor is
actually using.  You'll need to check your editors documentation and/or
settings to determine what exactly that is.

It appears to be this character [1]: 研 (U+7814), in this section on
line 133:
   日本一家民间研究...
that is causing the problem.  I'm guessing that whatever character
encoding your editor is actually using, uses the code point 30 for that
character, and it just happens that browsers are smart enough to
determine what you actually want in this case.  if the character does
not exist in the GB2312 character repertoire, then replace it with
either the hexadecimal or decimal character references: &#x7814; or
&#30740;.  If it does exist in the GB2312 character repertoire, then fix
your editor so that it saves your file correctly, or change the declared
character encoding appropriately to whatever your editor is using.

[1]
http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/cgi/unicode-decoder/character-identifier?characters=%E7%A0%94

--
Lachlan Hunt