Re: HTML 4.01 Validator Complaint

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, John Luetke wrote:

> i have validated by pages by using the HTML 4.01 validator.

There is no such thing. There's a markup validator, which you can use,
among other things, to run a partial test for syntactic conformance
to HTML 4.01 rules.

> however,
> errors appear concerning the <embed> and <object> tags that are used to
> place Flash movies into html pages.

Regarding <object>, you need to post the URL for an analysis of what's
wrong there.

Regarding <embed>, it simply isn't part of HTML 4.01.

> i think that this issue should be addressed.

Yes, by you. You need to decide first what you want. After that,
"Flash Satay: Embedding Flash While Supporting Standards",
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay
might be useful. Or, if you decide to be practical and just use
<embed>, you could still validate your page but you need a customized DTD,
see
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/customdtd.html

> also, if the only thing that doesn't clear the validation
> process, may i still place the  XHTML 1.0 check image on my page?

Why would you put such a check if you have tried to use HTML 4.01?
Well, "Valid HTML!" icons _are_ often deliberate lies, but it's pointless
to ask for _permission_ to such usage. If you ask me, do not pollute your
pages with icons that are (worse than) cryptic to the great majority of
users (see http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html#icon ).