Re: Re[2]: Validator allows designers to do invalid nesting through <ins>

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:31:10 +0100
To: ghi@ctmagazin.de
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 19:27, Gerald Himmelein wrote:

> Perhaps a warning message/word of caution might be in order when the
> Markup Validator encounters the <ins> tag...

The validator works off DTDs, I suspect it would take a fairly severe
shift in architecture to persuade it to perform that type of additional
check.

> > While it is *valid* HTML, it is non-conforming.
>
> Just to make sure that I don't misunderstand you: What you are stating
> is that using <ins> in the manner previously described is incorrect.

Thats right. Placing a block element inside an inline ins is not allowed
in HTML - but that rule can't be expressed in a way that the validator
can understand.

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>