Re: Validator allows designers to do invalid nesting through <ins>

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Gerald Himmelein wrote:

> (<p> can be nested
> within <li> up until HTML 4.01 Transitional, as far as I know.)

And beyond. There is no change here - lists are general-purpose
constructs, and lists may contain paragraphs (and tables and lists
and...).

> However, if you surround the invalid nesting with <ins> tags,
> validator.w3.org declares the syntax to be valid:

Yes, but it is worse than useless trick (and may seriously mislead the
user, especially if the browser displays <ins> element content as
different from normal text, as most browsers do these days).

In practical terms, there's seldom need to include the author's contact
information (which is what <address> means, by definition) inside a
paragraph. The <address> element is essentially a paragraph of a very
special case; all that a validator cares, though, is the nesting rules and
other syntax, of course.