Re: The error message for uploading a non html document

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:49:45 +0300
To: www-validator list <www-validator@w3.org>

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 15:53, David Dorward wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2004, at 13:40, Dru Sellers wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> paraphrase: "The error message for an unsupported content type is not
> very helpful".

> For various reasons, mostly described at
> <http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html>, this isn't a very
> good solution.

Additionally, in the current Validator implementation, it would not have
any effect wrt. the content type.  The Content-Type header sent by the
uploading browser or the server serving a document is what counts.

The <meta> stuff is used only for resolving the charset, and even there,
only as a fallback or a sanity/consistency check (with a possibly
included charset in the real Content-Type header and/or XML encoding).

> I'd suggest something along the lines of:
[...]

The beta version at http://validator.w3.org:8001/ already has a somewhat
improved message along those lines.  It can be further improved though.