Re: The error message for uploading a non html document

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:53:56 +0100
To: www-validator list <www-validator@w3.org>

On 27 Apr 2004, at 13:40, Dru Sellers wrote:

<snip>

paraphrase: "The error message for an unsupported content type is not
very helpful".

For various reasons, mostly described at
<http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html>, this isn't a very
good solution.

I'd suggest something along the lines of:

The provided document was sent with a content-type of text/plain, the
W3C Markup Validation Service only accepts documents with a
content-type selected from the following list:

* text/html
* application/xhtml+xml (it doesn't yet IIRC, but I think its on the
TODO list)
* etc

You can <a>find out more about content-types</a>

with a link to a document that explains:

* What content types are
* Why content types are used
* That they are set in different ways depending on what sends them to
the validator
   - Quick guide to configuring Apache with link to the Apache
documentation
   - Ditto IIS
   - File Upload with browsers (I don't know how they select content
types, I guess most of them will use the file extension)
   - Otherwise a suggestion to consult the documentation for the software

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>