Possible bug in the SGML parser?

From: Andrew Whalan <andrew@hmsc.com.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:45:43 +1100
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

I think i've found a bug, not sure, but try validating
http://www.whalan.com/invalid_html/Upload%20Art.htm and viewing the source.

Its a file a friend of mine generated and there has been much arguments over
the validity of it, as I'm a sucker for standards adherance (mostly).

It lacks opening <head> and <body> tags, and yet it validates as 4.01
transitional (when i force it), this is the crux of the argument.

Doesnt a well formed SGML document REQUIRE a matching opening tag for a
closing tag?

The fate of a heated argument rests on your reply :)

Kind Regards,

Andrew Whalan