Suggested change: Error message on attempt to Validate non-existing file

From: Tim Bonham <t-bonham@scc.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:19:18 -0600
To: www-validator@w3.org

On the very useful validation page http://validator.w3.org/,
when the user wants to validate a local file like "c:\document.html", but
mistypes the name, for example as "C:\doucment.html",
the resulting error message that is returned is inaccurate & irrelevant to
the error that has occured:
	"Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type is
application/octet-stream, which is not currently supported by this service. "

I would suggest that this error be trapped, and a more specific error
message returned, such as:
	"Sorry, I am unable to find that document".

This happens even for file names which are correctly found by common
browsers, such as IE, Netscape, & Mozilla, such as using "/" instead of "\"
in the file name.