Re: Possible bug in the SGML parser?

From: (wrong string) äper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:42:11 +0100
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Cc: "Andrew Whalan" <andrew@hmsc.com.au>

Andrew Whalan:

> I think i've found a bug, not sure, but try validating

Again ...

> It lacks opening <head> and <body> tags, and yet it validates as 4.01
>
> Doesnt a well formed SGML document REQUIRE a matching opening tag for a
> closing tag?

A well-formed document SGML/HTML/XML does, but only XML incl. XHTML is
required to be well-formed. In the _HTML DTDs the start (and end) tags of
the head and body (and html and tbody) elements are marked optional (the two
Os next to the name), thus they may be omitted in a valid document.

Christoph Päper