Need HTTP help for validator access script

From: Steve Clay <steve@mrclay.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:51:14 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hello,

I'm off-list, but I thought some of you might find this worthwhile.

I made a PHP script to allow validation of limited-access URIs, such
as those on an intranet or home test server.  The idea:

* Access URI locally (given by querystring)
* Save contents to variable
* Make variable look like "file upload" POST headers
* Submit variable to validator
* Echo validator's response

A bookmarklet could make this a one-click process.

What I have: http://mrclay.org/vd.phps

The problem is that the headers I put together (learned by using
http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ and the HTML specs) are malformed
and I can't seem to troubleshoot it.  My failures to get cURL to
install were pitiful, but it looks like it'd be overkill for this anyway.

Once I can get a proper response I suppose I'll need to strip out the
validator's headers from the echo, but I can handle that..

Any suggestions?  I guess another question is..do you consider this an
acceptable way to use this service?  I don't see that it would use any
more resources (in fact the validator wouldn't have to go fetch a
URL).

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Steve
--