Re: Validation of "virtual" XHTML documents?

Le mar 11/02/2003 à 07:43, David Schulman a écrit :
> 	It would be useful if there was some way to validate a "virtual"
> XHTML document generated by applying an XSLT stylesheet to an XML document.
> There's an obvious workaround involving the use of an external stylesheet
> processor to create an actual XHTML document, which could then be validated
> in the usual way. But Microsoft's Internet Explorer v. 5.5+ contains a
> built-in XML parser, and it seems likely that Netscape (Mozilla? Opera?
> Amaya?) will eventually follow suit. I'd like to exploit this capability to
> publish XML documents which reference their associated XSLT stylesheets
> (using <?xml:stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="stylesheet.xsl"?> or similar)
> so that compliant browsers can view them more-or-less transparently; but
> the problem is that the XHTML target document doesn't really exist anywhere
> (though its content must of course be transmitted to the browser), thus
> frustrating attempts at automated validation.

Note that you can automate it somehow using W3C on-line XSLT processor:
http://www.w3.org/2001/05/xslt

For instance, to validate the output of
http://www.w3.org/QA/TheMatrix.rdf that has an associated XSLT
http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/10/toMatrix.xsl , I can validate
http://www.w3.org/2000/06/webdata/xslt?xslfile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FQA%2F2002%2F10%2FtoMatrix&xmlfile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FQA%2FTheMatrix.rdf

This can be somewhat automated with a bookmarklet (though extracting the
style sheet to feed the xslt server might prove to be tricky).

Dom
W3C/ERCIM
mailto:dom@w3.org