Re: Validation of "virtual" XHTML documents?

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:43:42 +0000 (GMT)
To: res1ruxw@verizon.net
cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, David Schulman wrote:

> 	It would be useful if there was some way to validate a "virtual"
> XHTML document generated by applying an XSLT stylesheet to an XML document.

I don't think that's on the agenda for any of the online validators yet.
You can of course validate the XML, or (as you say) work around it.

> There's an obvious workaround involving the use of an external stylesheet
> processor to create an actual XHTML document, which could then be validated
> in the usual way. But Microsoft's Internet Explorer v. 5.5+ contains a
> built-in XML parser, and it seems likely that Netscape (Mozilla? Opera?
> Amaya?) will eventually follow suit.

Point of order there: Mozilla has had that for some time.  Indeed, bearing
in mind the serious problems with XSLT in MSIE-pre-6, Moz was probably
the first working implementation.  Not sure about the current status:
this is my observation from when I first offered XML+XSLT as an option
to browsers about 18 months ago.

> 	Is there any possible way for a validator to follow the stylesheet
> link and apply it to the XML source like a stylesheet processor (or
> Internet Explorer) does?

It would certainly be possible.  Not sure how useful.  Hmmm ....

--
Nick Kew