Re: Beta: XML Output

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:52:01 +0100
To: "Gannon J. Dick" <gdick@verizon.net>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

* Gannon J. Dick wrote:
>Anything is possible to those who don't have to do the work and haven't
>thought it through completely (that would be me).
>
>Any way to deliver the XML inside a div {display:none;} block?  Or inside a
>comment with start-end markers (so it could be stripped easily, REGEX or
>whatever)?

Both options are not acceptable; most users of the validator get
information they cannot use and they did not ask for; the first option
is not even possible, you cannot include abitrary XML elements in XHTML
1.0 documents, the second is real pain for implementers. What could be
done is to markup the result elements with proper class attributes. I am
not sure whether this makes sense if there is an option for real XML
output.