Re: Over-eager detection of XHTML

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>http://www.damowmow.com/playground/html-not-xml-2.html
>
>....is a valid HTML 4.01 document. However, with the new validator, I
>get the following error message:
>
>|This Page Is NOT Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict!
>|
>|Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
>|parser.
>|
>|1. Line 2, column 7: S separator in comment declaration
>|
>|<!-- -- --> ^
>
>This is probably a bug in the XHTML detection code.
>
>Furthermore, when I force it to be handled as HTML 4.01, it still gets
>autodetected as XHTML.

Well, it's certainly a pathological case -- as I'm sure we've discussed
before! :-) -- but I've logged it (internal bug number #14) and will have a
look at whether there is any sane resolution to the issue. At the very
least it should be possible to force SGML semantics when a DOCTYPE override
for an SGML DOCTYPE is in effect.

Thanks for the report!

--
>For all I know they probably have a standard for
>which direction to put the thread on a bolt.

That would be ISO 261:1973.         -- John Cowan