Over-eager detection of XHTML

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Olivier Thereaux wrote:

> After about a year of saying "Real Soon Now[tm]", a new version of the
> W3C MarkUp Validation Service is now available for testing.
>
>                     <URL:http://validator.w3.org:8001/>

The following document:

   http://www.damowmow.com/playground/html-not-xml-2.html

...is a valid HTML 4.01 document. However, with the new validator, I get
the following error message:

| This Page Is NOT Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict!
|
| Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
| parser.
|
| 1. Line 2, column 7: S separator in comment declaration

|        ^

This is probably a bug in the XHTML detection code.

Furthermore, when I force it to be handled as HTML 4.01, it still gets
autodetected as XHTML.