Re: [Beta] Error Message

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:39:44 +0000 (GMT)
To: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
cc: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Terje Bless wrote:

> lib/ParserMessages.cxx and lib/ParserMessages.msg. Unfortunately, altering
> the messages to contain more details would require either modifying OpenSP
> -- possibly in local patches due to lack of general applicability -- or

That's entirely possible: Valet's messages differ from validator's
because I've done exactly that, but my changes aren't in OpenSP
precisely because they're specific to Valet.

OpenSP also appears to have some I18N support that might be adapted
to generate different menus of messages for different situations,
though I don't see how&why we'd want to do this (other than for
the original purpose:-)

The difficulty with the messages is that any change we make
will tend to be a compromise between the various different
situations in which it may appear.

--
Nick Kew