Re: FW: Error message: Unknown character set

From: p kent <pkent77@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 21:21:45 +0100 (BST)
To: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>, Eric.Lewis@swissinfo.ch
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

 --- Terje Bless <link@pobox.com> wrote: >
> [ I dropped this on the floor, didn't I? Sorry about that! :-( ]
> Eric.Lewis@swissinfo.ch wrote:
> >Did anyone install the Validator on a Solaris system?
> Nope; and I'll bet this is related. Perhaps your Apache error_log
> contained
> some messages about Text::Iconv or iconv_open? If you don't use a
> recent
> glibc (which Solaris doesn't by default), you need to get libiconv
> seperately (or install glibc) for character encoding conversions to
> work.

FWIW I installed the HEAD revision of the validator on a solaris
machine, and libiconv was there in /usr/local/lib. We exclusively use
gcc, as opposed to Sun's cc, so make of that what you will. All I
needed to do to the Text::Iconv Makefile.pl was add '-liconv' to the
appropriate place and then it found the existing library and built
successfully.

All of the SP package built cleanly with gcc under Solaris too.