Re: Problem in Sending the Data By Querystring

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Keenan, Alistair wrote:

> I also noticed the same problem with the validator and querystrings trying
> to validate some html 4.01 code.

(I don't know what you mean by "same problem".  It appears you're replying
to a message, but I don't know what one.)

> Does this mean that a querystring of the form
>
> ?a=b&c=d
>
> is valid html 4.01 but
>
> ?a=b&c=d
>
> isn't?

If you were writing "AT&T" in HTML, you would use "AT&T".  The same
principle applies when including a URI in HTML.  So if your URI contains
"?a=b&c=d", this would be written in HTML as "?a=b&c=d".

> I have always believed that the second format was the correct one (and
> Liam's reply implies that it is)

(I don't know what reply you're referring to.)

> - why rely on the browser correctly
> translating the html escape sequence for "&"???

Why not?  Browsers know about &.

--
Liam Quinn