Re: HTML 4.0 DTD and styles in HTML 4.0 compatible browsers

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:44:40 -0400
To: joe_harney@smartforce.com
cc: www-validator@w3.org

>  However when I tried to import the HTML4 dtd using....
>
>                   <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
> Transitional//EN"
>                   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> ...it caused the fonts to appear a lot smaller (practically unreadable in
> fact) on fully HTML4 compatible browsers (e.g IE5 upwards, NS6).

In such browsers, different doctypes will trigger rendering modes.
Typically, the browsers have two modes "backwards compatible" and
"standards compliant".  You're almost certainly triggering "standards
compliant" mode.

Boris
--
"The difference between a misfortune and a calamity?
If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a