Re: Validation Question

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:07:40 +0100
To: enginemike@worldnet.att.net, www-validator@w3.org
Laurdag 23. februar 2002 10:07 skreiv Michael Phillips:

> I am trying to validate a file.  I was trying for XTHML transitional but
> am having a problem making it work in NS6/Mozilla (I am having a problem
> getting tables to render properly up with the XHTML doctype - od in
> IE/Opera).

Mozilla (and IE 6) renders the document *correctly* when you use XHTML
transitional. If it doesn't render as you intended, you have 'bugs' in your
CSS.

> The validator output is listed below.  Note the insertion of
> the extra body tags that appear to cause the thing to blow up.

That's because the meta element ends with a /, which should only be used in
XHTML/XML. The validator sees this as character data, which isn't allowed
in 'head'. In therefor (correctly!) assumes it has reached the end of the
'head' element (and opened the 'body' element) (as the 'head' and 'body'
tags (as opposed to the 'head' and 'body' elements') are optional in HTML).

The solution is the remove the / from the 'meta' element.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer