Autodetection failure

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 09:13:54 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org

When attempting to validate a document which I identified as XHTML
1.1 using the pop-up menu, I received the following message:

  I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:

     * The HTTP Content-Type field.
     * The XML Declaration.
     * The HTML "META" element.

And I even tried to autodetect it using the algorithm defined in
Appendix F of the XML 1.0 Recommendation.

Since none of these sources yielded any usable information, I will
not be able to validate this document. Sorry. Please make sure you
specify the character encoding in use.

I believe that in this case for XHTML, the fallback should be UTF-8.
It certainly is for XML, and I don't think there's any reason XHTML
should be different. If everything else fails, assume UTF-8.