forcing doctype when calling validator?

From: Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:03:38 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-validator@w3.org

Is there a parameter that can be fed to the validation script to force the
doctype for a page? (or better still, suggest a doctype which will be ignored
if one is present in the supplied markup?)

I'm using Opera for my main web browser which has a nice built in validation
feature - but 99% of code out there has no doctype at all, so the validator
just refuses to attempt anything. I'd like to at least be able to suggest a
default that would result in the validation script attempting to validate the

Do You Yahoo!?