Re: problem with validator

Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com> wrote:

>scripsit Terje Bless:
>
>>The error reporting is clearly on the fritz here though. First of all
>>that column number is off by about 380 characters (I think I have a
>>patch for this sitting around somewhere). More importantly though, it
>>looks like we have something strange going on with the charset and
>>doctype overrides. The same results should be reported in both cases.
>
>Rechecking, it's just the DOCTYPE override that influences it.  Setting
>an ISO-8859-1 charset override (for me) makes no difference.

Ah, thanks Thanasis, that cinched it! :-)

When the DOCTYPE override is in effect we rewrite the document to
substitute the requested DOCTYPE for the one that was there and the
third-party library we use for this (HTML::Parser) chokes on the NUL
character. The net result is that by the time we get to the actual
Validation pass there no longer /is/ any NUL character in the file.

I'm not sure we can (or even should) fix this. I'll report it to Gisle and
see what he has to say.

Thanks for your help in nailing this one down guys!

--
>For all I know they probably have a standard for
>which direction to put the thread on a bolt.

That would be ISO 261:1973.         -- John Cowan