Re: problem with validator

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 12:57:39 -0700
To: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Cc: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>, "Lee A. Jones" <lee@archid.co.uk>

scripsit Terje Bless:
> When the DOCTYPE override is in effect we rewrite the document to
> substitute the requested DOCTYPE for the one that was there and the
> third-party library we use for this (HTML::Parser) chokes on the NUL
> character. The net result is that by the time we get to the actual
> Validation pass there no longer /is/ any NUL character in the file.
> I'm not sure we can (or even should) fix this. I'll report it to Gisle and
> see what he has to say.

A simple solution would be to do a Perl match

$foo =~ /\x0/

somewhere early and refuse to process if there's a NUL in the file.
NULs have the capacity to create other problems with sting handling as
well, so I'd just refuse to deal with a file until they're taken out, so
as to avoid other possible spurious validation results.

Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology
Graduate Student, Department of History
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, U.S.A.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul