Re: Is ASCII passe?

Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org> wrote:

> >Is ASCII now considered passe?  I spent a good chunk of life memorizing
> >ASCII codes....
>
> It's not considered passe, it's just that its official name on the
> Internet is US-ASCII (capitalization to your liking).
> I have added 'ascii' to the list of 'frequent wrong spellings of character
> encodings'.

Well, actually "ASCII" is an alias of ANSI_X3.4-1968.  While US-ASCII
is the preferred MIME name for ANSI_X3.4-1968 and people SHOULD use it
and the validator MAY give a warning (not an error) if you like, but
I don't think the validator should reject a valid alias of registered
charset name.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org