Re: Validator support for MathML embedded in XHTML (moderately long)

From: Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:32:59 -0800
To: www-validator@w3.org
At 07:18 2002/03/31, Nick Kew wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Michael Bowen wrote:
>>I am wondering if anyone has managed to validate documents containing
>>MathML constructions (equations) embedded in XHTML. I've seen (from
>>earlier threads) that it's sort of possible to validate pure MathML; I am
>>hoping to go a step farther.
>What problems did you encounter when you tried?

Several hundred, originally; with your help, it's down to about a dozen,
mostly having to do with the failure to recognize prefixed xmlns
attributes. I am using Mathplayer; the validator also doesn't like the
empty <object> element that Design Science wants us to use to invoke
MathPlayer. (MathPlayer doesn't run if the <object> and/or the <?IMPORT>
statement in the following line are commented out.) Please see for
yourself; the link is

>>Also how can one keep the validator from choking on the xmlns:m
>>attributes in the <html> and <body> elements?
>The DTDs don't actually allow those attributes, but see

This was helpful, too, although IE 6 is still not quite smart enough not to
render the closing ]> at the end of the ATTLIST statement. So I get an odd
couple of characters at the top left corner of the document. Plus, I'm not
really validating to the "standard" DTD if I do this.

Interestingly, the MathML 2.0 recommendation
[http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/chapter7.html] makes the following
suggestion. It would be cool if the "standard" DTD made allowance for this
particular flavor of namespace prefixing. I guess I should really be
suggesting this to the Math Working Group.

During the transitional period, in which some software may not be fully
namespace-aware, a few conventional practices will ease compatibility
When using namespace prefixes with MathML markup, use m: as a conventional
prefix for the MathML namespace. Using an explicit prefix is probably safer
for compatibility in current user agents.

<m:math xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">