Re: Is ASCII passe?

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 14:28:04 +0900
To: jeffs@kant.ee.washington.edu, www-validator@w3.org
Hello Jeff,

At 17:01 02/03/27 -0500, Jeff Silverman wrote:
>I tried to run a web page

Can you give the URI?

>with the content type meta tag of :

>and the validator said:
>
>Sorry! A fatal error occurred when attempting to transcode the character
>encoding of the document. Either we do not support this character
>encoding yet, or you have specified
>a non-existent character encoding (often a misspelling).
>
>The detected character encoding was "ascii".
>
>The error was "".
>
>If you believe the character encoding to be valid you can submit a
>request for that character encoding (see the feedback page for details)
>and we will look into supporting it in the
>future.
>

>Is ASCII now considered passe?  I spent a good chunk of life memorizing
>ASCII codes....

It's not considered passe, it's just that its official name on the
Internet is US-ASCII (capitalization to your liking).
I have added 'ascii' to the list of 'frequent wrong spellings of character
encodings'. Please try out http://validator.w3.org:8188, where you should
see a different error message now. I don't know how long it will take
for this to turn up in the official version.

Regards,    Martin.