Leading spaces inside of a tag?

From: Joseph Pingenot <jap3003@ksu.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 21:08:37 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3c.org
Greetings.

I had a page validate as HTML 4.01, but have a space between the <
  and the img.  That is, I had (approximately):
  < img src="blar.jpg">
  validate.  However, it refused to render under any browser available
  to me (IE 6, Mozilla 0.9.3, and Netscape 4.78).  Is whitespace
  allowed between the leading < and the tag text, or is it a validator
  bug?
Please respond back to me directly as well as CC'ing to the list, as
  I am not subscribed.  (I know it sounds lame, but I didn't see a
  reason to subscribe to Yet Another List just to answer this
  question.   :)
Thanks.

                              -Joseph
--
"The message that 'resistance is futile' has been hammered home.